Later this majestic building became an important part in the chapter of India’s struggle for independence. Few days after the launch of Quit India Movement Mahatma Gandhi along with his wife Kasturba Gandhi and his secretary Mahadev Desai and also Sarojini Naidu were held captive by the then British Government in India at this palace from August 1942 to May 1944. Kasturba Gandhi and Mahadev Desai left for the heaven abode at the palace during their captivity. Their ‘Samadhis’ can be visited inside the palace premises. A memorial dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi has been constructed within its complex where his ashes are kept.
The whole site covers an area of about 13 acres. This splendid structure is built on 7 acres of land while the remaining piece of land is a decorated garden. The striking features of architecture include Italian arches and manicured garden. Aga Khan IV admiring the memory of Mahatma Gandhi and his philosophy donated the palace to the Indian Government. The palace houses portraits and photographs of Mahatma Gandhi and many eminent freedom fighters. Presently, the headquarters of Gandhi National Memorial Society is located at this palace. The palace complex holds shops selling ‘Khaadi’ and other handloom textiles for its visitors.
Aga Khan Palace open at 09:00 AM to 05:30 PM
5 INR per Indians and 100 INR per Foreigners