Located in Srirangapatna town, Karnataka, the Srirangapatna Fort has been the center for the war among the ambitious states of the Nawabs, Marathas and the Peshwas of South India. Under the reign of the Wodeyars, Srirangapatna was made the capital of the kingdom (changing it from Mysore). Under military general Hyder Ali, who served the king Krishnaraja Wodeyar, the fort was captured by the Marathas in 1757 but he later re-occupied the fort.
In 1782, Hyder Ali’s son Tipu Sultan took reign of the Srirangapatna fort and started building fortifications around it. To resist the invading English Army, Tipu Sultan sought the help of the French and with their architects upgraded the fort. In 1799, the British Forces under the command of Colonel Arthur Wellesley initiated a surprise attack the fort on May 4th under the covers. In this battle, Tipu Sultan was killed and the English signed a treaty with the Wodeyar queen.
Not only the defensive features, but the Srirangapatna fort is also known for the structures and its important location. The Srirangapatna Fort is protected in the Western and Northern directions by the river Cauveri. The famous Lal Mahal and Tipu’s Palace, situated inside the fort were demolished in 1799 by the British during their conquest of the fort. It has seven outlets for entry/exit and two dungeons. One of the important structures inside the Srirangapatna fort is the Ranaganathaswamy temple which is believed to be built by Ramanuja with the help of Dwarasamudra, the Hoysala King form 12th century. It is one of the few Hindu temples which was not demolished by Tipu Sultan. Jumma Masjid, built under Tipu himself is one of the major Indo-Islamic architecture found inside the fort.
Also, the Daria Daulat Bagh housing Tipu Sultan’s Museum and the Gumbaz where Tipu and his parents are buried are key attractions inside Srirangapatna fort.
Srirangapatna fort open at 09:00 AM to 06:00 PM
Free | No Tickets