The fort construction was finally constructed in 1726 and it started accommodating the presence of the royal family with the area sectioned into personal and military strongholds. Till date the fort holds the ruins of the palace complex, an armoury and a museum preserved for public viewing. The fort holds the world's largest cannon wheels known as Jaivana and legend has it that this cannon was conceived and designed completely within the premises of the palace. It was built solely with the purpose of protecting the Amer Fort. Amer Fort and Jaigarh Fort are connected by underground tunnels and even till date such unified passage makes both palace complexes rendered as one singular aggregated complex. Its sprawling structure is spread over a length of 2 kilometres in the north south direction and 1 kilometre in width.