During the time East India Company came to Mumbai, the Mughals rulers and generals along with the Siddis had created an alliance with each other in case of invasion. Even though the Mazagon Fort was being built during the time, a war took place between the Mughals and the Britishers and most parts of the fort were taken over by the East India Company. Later the name of the fort was changed from Mazagon Fort to Sewri Fort, where this fort was built on an island facing the eastern seaboard.
The Sewri Fort, formerly known as Mazagon Fort was demolished in 1690 during the war between the Mughals and the East India Company. Now in place of the Mazagon Fort, Railway station, Joseph Baptista Garden and other monuments are located here. The Baptista Gardens and the Bhandarwada Hill is famous amongst the locals and the tourists. Since the ruins of the fort and the new monuments can be seen together, many tourists visit this place during the winter season.